What can we do?

I've witnessed and seen so many disheartening videos, reports, incidences and newsbreaks that focus around our children. It breaks my heart and leaves it in turmoil, seeking for peace and understanding.

I remember growing up I used to feel like the whole world was against me.  I felt like no one understood my struggles, my needs, my hurt...No one understood ME.  Whenever I was reprimanded (more times than I would like to remember), I felt as though the world was against me.  Who could EVER understand me and my dilemmas? Not adults. They just thought they knew it all and they were so lame.  So, there is no way they could EVER understand me (so I thought).

Then I became an adult. Oh how I appreciate the reprimands and the lessons I was taught from adults.  I was taught how to respect, work, maintain my character, morals, love, treat others the way I want to be treated, etc.  Oh don't get me wrong, I slipped, fell and faltered along the way with these life lessons, but I am forever grateful for what I was taught; as well as the many people who taught it to me.

I knew without a shadow of a doubt, that someone was always praying for me.  Some woman or man of God, was always lifting my life, circumstances, health, behavior, and mindset up in prayer.  Teachers, administrators, school cooks, coaches, guidance counselors, foster mothers and the community were all my "village". They raised me, they chastised me, they kept me in line, and most of all, they were my rock.

My heart is so overwhelmed for our children today.  Who is praying for them? Who is leading them? Who is teaching them morals, lifting their spirits, becoming their village?

Have we left it up to the Beyonces and Weezies to educate our children and tell them about their self worths? Or have we allowed Reality television to teach them how to be "Real Housewives" of every city, "Loving the Hip Hop" in all towns, Becoming the next "Basketball Wife" while remaining a "Bad Girl" in a Club?  Have we allowed them to become "Pregnant at 15" while "Keeping up with the Kardashians".  This appears to be our children's "village" now.  These are the people (characters) that are raising our children. The "Real Village" has been silenced by Federal and State laws and bylaws; as well as threats from irate parents who feel that their little "angels" are exempt from needing loving discipline.

So what do we have left? A confused generation, questioning who they are, what the are, how to get away with things, no respect for themselves or authority.  Listen, how can they respect authority if they don't respect themselves? 

We are quick to blame the parents. We are quick to blame the teachers. We are really quick to blame Police Officers (yes some of them have some issues too though). We are quick to blame the churches, other races, the school districts, the neighborhoods, the President, the dog, the food, the medicine, the cat, and anything or anyone else.  Have we really looked at our individual selves to see what we can do? How can we reach one child? How can we make a difference for one of our youths? Just one?

How do we change their mindsets? Teach them about respect and responsibility? How do we encourage them to live and think outside of the box? How do we turn them away from re"fake" television and negative role models? How do we get them focused on how awesome they are? How loved they are? How unique they are?

It takes a village to reach them.  I know for a fact however, that we will not reach them looking down our noses in disgust, as though they are beneath us.  They may not respect us because they were never taught to do so.  However, if we approach them (always seem to work better on an individual basis) with respect and genuine care, would that make a difference?  If we teach them how to dress instead of turning our noses up at them (our beautiful princesses), would that make a difference?  If we continuously prayed for them and maintained a higher standard, would that make a difference?

We are more afraid of this generation because of their misguided lives.  Again, I ask, what can we do to make a difference?  We were given a chance. Will they ever have one?

Comments

Popular Posts